Friday, September 15, 2023

Dolphins

I'm reading Pod by Laline Paull, and I'm looking up things on the internet to help me understand. Spinner dolphins are smaller than Bottlenose. The heroine Ea is a Spinner who doesn't like getting sexual. She is unusual and an outsider, but a good hunter. She doesn't spin, she doesn't hear the music others hear. That made me think of Happy Feet (2006).

I read about how dolphins sleep. They sleep with one eye open and only half their brain sleeps. They switch after 2-4 hours. They call it unihemispheric sleep. One side of the brain sleeps at a time.

This is a Bottlenose dolphin:


I googled archipelagos in Indian Ocean and google lists 12. I'll see if Paull tips her hat at which one of the 12.  


Book Reviews of Pod:

The Book Stop

Out of the Crooked Timber

SF Book

No comments:

Post a Comment