Sunday, September 10, 2023

Came across this contrary wisdom today

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) is part of the time of Transcendentalist, but she's too unique to box into a literary movement, she's in the group because of the time frame, but her genius is larger. She is the true titan of this literary movement, maybe with Whitman and Hawthorne, in terms of writing skill. I read through her poems regularly. There's a great show that is ahistorical, but still fun. 

Thoreau, Emerson, Ellery Channing, Hawthorne, Dickenson, Whitman, Fuller, Bronson and Louisa May Alcott, Jones Very, Peabody sisters, and  were all great individuals and to some degree resist being lumped as a movement. I'm less interested in the theological aspect of the moment, but I understand that is the trigger that switches things to natures, with Emerson's great works. There were more, that I don't really know well enough. Mary Olive to some degree carries on the love of nature, and cites Transcendentalists. I'm not really aware of people who follow the love of nature, except maybe Rick Bass. I just ordered 2 Rick Bass books, I haven't read him for a long time. I read the Wolves book, but he's got 4 new books I want to read.

The poem goes counter the idea that time heals all wounds. Perhaps you feel the emotional wound over more so you could say it's the largest, and perhaps we get more alive and sensitive as we age.

Emily and Sophie




They say that “time assuages,”—
Time never did assuage;
An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.
Time is a test of trouble,
But not a remedy.
If such it prove, it prove too
There was no malady.

No comments:

Post a Comment