Friday, April 5, 2024

Eclipse & Earthquake & Hurricanes

248PM NYC 


It’s partly cloudy so that complicates things:


3:06 PM


3:14 PM


In DC, my cousin’s shot:



In Queens NYC, the eclipse isn't 100%. Have to go to Buffalo for that. The next one is going to be 2079 (source). There will be one in August 23rd 2044 in other parts of America. 

On Monday April 8th, the eclipse starts at 2 PM, and peaks at 3:25 PM with 90% covered sun for NYC, and ends at 4:36 PM.

The next eclipse happening is on March 30, 2033 and will be visible from Alaska just after sunrise and coincides with the peak season for the aurora borealis.

The August 23, 2044 eclipse will be visible in Montana and North Dakota. The path of totality for this eclipse includes Greenland and parts of Canada.




I'm going to the library today to see if you can check out some eclipse glasses. They had a sign all out. I bought some on the street for $5 a few days later. 


Wow, just felt an earthquake: 10:24 AM EST here in Kew Garden Hills (4/5/2024), Flushing, Queens, New York City, New York, USA. Reminds me of the hurriquake, the earthquake during a hurricane. Yup, it was centered in New Jersey (twitter). Says it's 5.5. Some are saying 4.8.

Indeed, yesterday Times had an article about how the change in the ocean temperature could give us a tough year for hurricanes. Remember when forest fires in Canada brought orange skies?

Feeling like end of times. My Christian friend gets excited when I say that, and I back away. Jesus is wonderful, but I'm a Buddhist, and I'm just speaking emotionally, not from spiritual conviction. Causality is how I see the world. I can work harder in meditation, study, ethics, fellowship and devotion on the Buddhist path to get past suffering, which is symbolized by the moon I'm reading in How Karma Works: The Twelve Links of Dependent Arising by Geshe Sonam Rinchen.




Links/sources:

NASA Eclipse site

USA Today

12 Nidanas

Milwaukee Sentinel has a good graphic about future eclipses.

Fun facts

NY Post: "Total solar eclipses actually happen every 18 months or so. The next time the WORLD will witness this phenomenon will be on August 12, 2026. The path of totality will fall over Greenland, Iceland, Spain, and a few scant feet of Portugal."

Next Eclipses NY Times.


Bonus nature sound:

Bald Eagle squalks.

No comments:

Post a Comment