Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Leaves of Grass

Leaves of Grass was Published July 4th, 1855 by Walt Whitman, 168 years ago. 

Season 3 episode 4 of Dickinson's portrait is exaggerated, ahistorical, but anyway, they're just having fun in that show. What did Dickinson and Thoreau think of Whitman? I'll try and update here if I read anything. She show is kind of what if all the stars of the Transcendental movement were self involved influencers with today's consciousness. Still, it's fun.



“I am satisfied ... I see, dance, laugh, sing.”


“I am large, I contain multitudes”


“Do anything, but let it produce joy.”


“I celebrate myself, and sing myself,

And what I assume you shall assume,

For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.”


“I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,

I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world.”


“Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me?

And why should I not speak to you?”


“I will sleep no more but arise, You oceans that have been calm within me! how I feel you, fathomless, stirring, preparing unprecedented waves and storms.”


4th of July is also the day Thoreau moves into his hut in Walden. 


No comments:

Post a Comment