Saturday, July 15, 2023

Birth of Transcendentalism

Facebook post by Richard Smith that explains it better than I can.

Emmerson ruffled the petticoats at Harvard with his graduation address at Harvard July 15 1838, some consider to be the foundation of Transcendentalism in America. 



Emerson was the center of the movement, an essayist, benefactor, publisher. His shucking off Puritainism for Nature was pure genius in early America. It's hard to be upstanding and righteous when you reject the religious ethos of the times. It was also hard to be for abolitionism, but he was. Over all cool dude on the right side of history. 

I read Emerson among the Eccentrics: A Group Portrait by Carlos Baker, and quite enjoyed it. I recommend it. 

I like "Self Reliance" and I've listened to Nature. I need to learn more about his writings. 




No comments:

Post a Comment