Friday, June 23, 2023

Amos Bronson Alcott


Amos Bronson Alcott (1799-1888) was the father of the author of Little Women, Louisa May Alcott. He was an educator but lost students when it came out he was honest about sex. He went to England and was fairly popular there, two disciples came back from England to Concord. Around that time Alcott was refusing to pay taxes based on principles, and was waiting for the jailer to come back when someone paid his taxes. This was a principled stand at not paying taxes. I think it was about slavery. So I wonder if Thoreau leaned his civil disobedience a little from him.

I have a problem where I read about other people and I want to put down my biography of Thoreau and read one about Alcott. I don't know if it's attention deficit, feels sort of unique to the advent of the information age. I'm curious about so many things, but reading a big biography is quite time consuming and maybe I want more instant gratification to my questions. I'm really fascinated by his veganism.

No comments:

Post a Comment