Friday, May 28, 2021

Willow Pond




Poverty is really good for the environment in some ways. I'm not flying off places or driving much, I'm not consuming a lot of things, buying things.

The food pantry uses a lot of individual packaging, which isn't good. Just give me a can of something instead of putting it in a bunch of plastic containers. Beggars can't be choosers though.

Walked down to Willow Pond. I don't think it's a lake but I could be wrong. It's man made, when they were developing flushing for the World's Fair in 1964.

I hope the Dolan family who donated the money to get the path named after the deceased matriarch isn't the same Dolan family that runs Madison Square Garden, the Knicks and the Rangers. As a Knicks fan Dolan is often to blame for the man woeful years of the Knicks. The Knicks had their first playoff win since 2014 on Wednesday. Today is Friday. 

Walked down there today. Past the coop apartments, past the nice houses, to the park, across the bridge over the Van Wyck expressway. 

I've taken my daughter there and we saw a turtle the other day. She gets scared, but she's trying to master her fears.

There was a fire. It seemed like a controlled fire to give a view of the "lake" alone the path. There's a side trail with some blinds. The path goes from Kew Garden Hills to Forest Hills. It's another swampland in New York City, along with perhaps Gateway Park in Jamaica Bay. That one is more salt water, sandy.

I have found a willow tree, but there isn't an abundance of them. There are a lot of trees that have been blown over, storms and tornadoes. The wet soil doesn't allow the roots to go deep so they spread out along the path and when the tree falls over there's quite a lot of uprooted soil. 

Lots of vegetation, insects, birds, rodents. I'm going to read Walden again soon, and perhaps more about Thoreau, and Willow Pond is my reference point to nature, even though it's in New York City. I wish I lived in the country but I'm in the city and that is my closest walk to take in some green.

No comments:

Post a Comment